Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Caramel Apple Pear Crumble Pie--Oh my!!!

It's a celebration, a jubilation, it's SEPTEMBER!!!

So to celebrate the coming of fall, it only felt appropriate to make a delicious apple pie!

But hold on to your seat this is no ordinary pie, this pie is filled with happiness, warmth, and everything wonderful.

Plus a bonus it is all Fat Free.....just kidding it is the very opposite of Fat Free, but so worth the extra trip to the gym.

So to start this pie off right, you can 1) make your own pie crust, which I will give you the recipe for or 2) buy a refrigerated pie crust and use that, which I have also done.



Here is a preview of some of the wonderful things that you will use in this pie! Can I get a Zoo Wee Momma!






First thing you need to do to make your own crust is combine your flour and salt. Get it all nice and mixed up.



Then you want to add in your shortening. I usually cut it up first, but that's just how I hang:) Then with a pastry blender go ahead and blend away until you have a crumbly mixture and if you don't have a pastry blender, you have two hands that work just as well.




Next you add the water, a tablespoon at a time, the colder the water the better.




Time to break out the fork and as you add in the water push the dough to the side of the bowl. Slowly your dough should become less crumbly and if not just add a little bit more water to it.



Work the dough into a ball and place in a greased 9" pie pan, some like to roll it out before placing it in the pie pan, but I just use my hands to flatten the dough out and up over the edges.




Here it is in all it's glory, today I decided to go Rustic and leave the edge untouched. It is a Rustic kinda day!



So now we move on to the good stuff, I find it best to crush my Nilla Wafers by placing them in a 1 gallon bag and rolling a rolling pin over it several times. Side note Miles was most upset to see me crush perfectly good cookies into crumbs, I had to explain that it would all be worth it in the end.


Add your brown sugar and butter to the Nilla Wafer Crumbs. I love how the butter makes a lovely moat around the mound of brown sugar:)


Mix these three lovelies together with a fork...and with your best effort try not to devour this bowl of goodness...I know I know it's hard.



Can it be you ask? Yes, cream cheese is in this pie too! Spread it very carefully using the back of a spoon, because if you get to hasty you may tear a hole in the crust and that would just be sad.


Okay, we are back to our yummy crumb mixture, sprinkle half of this over the cream cheese and just take it in. Save the other half for later:)


I LOVE this little machine, it peels, cuts, and takes the core out for ya! But if you don't have one that's okay just peel and slice up your apples and pear the ole fashion way.


In a bowl add your fruit, flour, sugar and cinnamon and toss to coat. Do you smell that hmmm the smell of sweet goodness!



Now it is time to get real! Pour your fruit mixture into the pie pan, so it can sit like a king on top of cream cheese and crumb mixture goodness!


Sprinkle the rest of your crumb mixture on top of the pie. Now it is ready for the oven! Bake for 25 min and then place foil over the pie and continue baking for another 10min.



Once the pie has cooled down, go ahead and drizzle caramel over the top!!! Lord have mercy this is going to be AWESOME!!!



So here it is all written out.

Preheat 375
Cook time- 35min

Pie filling and topping

30 Nilla Wafers, crushed
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. butter, melted
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 baking apples, peeled, and sliced
1 pear, peeled, and sliced
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Caramel to drizzle on top

Crust

1 1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. shortening
4 to 5 tbs. cold water

Well I hope you enjoy it!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Heather! You are so talented. You should do a cook book too! This was great! I can't wait to try it over here for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashley...I will first see how the blog things goes then maybe we can talk about a cook book:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, yummy! My favorite pie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my lands....can you do this for all the meals I need to prepare?
    Awesome!!!

    Ellen (Blockbuster)

    ReplyDelete