Sunday, September 12, 2010

Spiced Sweet Potato Scones...

So this little recipe was an experiment....It originally suppose to be a pumpkin spiced scone, but I guess there is a shortage of can pumpkin this year?

The entire town of Gillette is out of canned pumpkin and they have no idea when they are getting some in....REALLY....what kind of place is this?

But the world must go on..pumpkin or no pumpkin. That is when I started to get creative...hmmm what can I use instead of pumpkin and then a little light bulb went off..

I got it SWEET POTATO....and I must admit it turned out better than I thought it would...otherwise I wouldn't be putting it on here (don't worry I will never steer you wrong).




Here are the lovely ingredients that you will use to make this scrumptious treat! Note: I first baked one sweet potato in the oven until it was nice and soft.


First I scrapped out the sweet potato and mashed it with a fork to make a nice puree.


Go ahead and combine your flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.


Next add your cinnamon, nutmeg, ground clove, and ginger...a combination of magic!!!!


Butter...everything is so much better with butter...add your butter and mix in using a pastry blender or if your like me, just use two clean hands:)



Your mixture should become nice and crumbly.


Back to the guts of this recipe...the sweet potato, place it in a medium bowl.


Add the half and half to the sweet potato...did I mention that this is a figure friendly recipe:)


Add your egg and mix well with a fork...it kind of looks like chunky orange soup...


Next pour your sweet potato mixture in with the flour mixture...It looks so lovely doesn't it? Don't worry it will end up tasting wonderful!!!!


Gather up your dough into a ball and place on a lightly floured surface.....


Flatten out your dough and shape it into a rectangle..you can use a rolling pin if you want..just make sure your dough is about 3/4 of an inch thick.



Cut dough into four sections going parallel to the shorter side of the rectangle and then into three sections going parallel with the the longer side. This way you end up with 12 squares!!


Then you want to cut diagonally through each square, this way you will have 24 triangles...we are getting closer..by the way these little triangles smell so good.


Place these little tasty triangles on a greased cookie sheet...and pop them in the oven.


Oh my these smell so wonderful...it's a bouquet of Fall in my kitchen:)


While your little scones are cooling down...it is time to glaze it up...start by adding your powdered sugar in a bowl.


Add your milk to the powdered sugar and mix with a fork...


Nice and smooth like a babies bottom:)


Time for your yummy scones to take a bath in some glaze...


After their bath in the glaze let them sit for awhile so the glaze can harden up...


In the mean time, lets make some spiced glaze...this stuff is a slice of heaven...try not to eat it out of the bowl...believe me I had to dig down deep for some stored up will power:)


Then it is time ...da ta duh....to bring this all together..using a fork, drizzle the spiced glaze over top of the scones....let them sit for about an hour in order to let the glaze set.



Look at these!!! Not only are they cute but tasty...so go ahead enjoy!

I am having mine with a cup of hot apple cider on the side:)

Spiced Sweet Potato Scones

Preheat 425 degrees
Time 8-9 min

2 c. flour
7 tbs. sugar
1 tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground clove
1/4 tsp. ginger
6 tbs cold butter
1 c. sweet potato, puree
3 tbs. half and half
1 large egg

Powder Sugar Glaze
1 c. powder sugar
1 tbs. powder sugar
2 tbs. milk

Spiced Glaze
1 c. powder sugar
3 tbs. powder sugar
2 tbs. milk
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 pinch ginger
1 pinch ground clove.


1 comment:

  1. I think I will try this this weekend! Can you put your sticky bun one up? hehe. We should have a cooking day together? You can teach me to cook. Will will love you for it! I will be on pumpkin alert!

    ReplyDelete