Saturday, September 18, 2010

Vegetable Beef Soup...that is whats for Dinner.



I am not sure how the weather is where you are...but out here in the Wyoming Plains...it is cold..brrr. Yesterday the temp dropped like 20 degrees, so as I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner an image came to mind. Do any of you remember the Dinty Moore Beef Stew commercials?

Well my image went something like this... John walks in the door from work, bringing a cold blustery wind in with him. As he shakes off the cold and out of his coat he turns to ask me what's for dinner. I then turn to him looking like I spent all day at the spa, wearing a cute apron and hair all pinned up and reply holding a can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew, "Beef is what's for Dinner".

Gross! I am sorry if you are a fan of Beef Stew from a can, but I just cannot stomach it. So I decided to go out into the great unknown and create my own version of Vegetable Beef Soup...not from a can.

So here it is and I must say...this was so GOOD. The perfect soup to warm us up on such a chilly day.


This soup is so EASY to make...

Start by putting 3 tbs butter in a pot and adding your beef, salt and pepper.

Once the beef has browned up add your chopped onions to the pot

After the onions are nice and transparent..it is time to add some color to this party. Add your bag of frozen mixed vegetables and potato.

Then it's pasta time..add two cups of uncooked pasta..I decided to go with some spiral noodles, but any noodle will do:)

Add a can of beef broth...but wait there's more

Next add a whole container of V8, we Nesbit's like a little kick to our soup so we went with the Spicy Hot version, but if spicy isn't your thing you can go with traditional V8. Don't worry it wont hurt my feelings:)

Bring the pot to a boil and add two Bay leaves....then reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for about 30 to 40 minutes. Just make sure your noodles are done:)

Then end result is a bowl full of hearty beef soup...serve with a roll for dipping purposes:)

Enjoy!

Vegetable Beef Soup

1 package of cut up beef (usually it will say stew beef)
1 48oz container of V8 (I used spicy hot)
3 tbs butter
1 onion, chopped
1 large potato, diced
1 16 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables
2 c. uncooked pasta
1 can beef broth
salt and pepper to taste
2 bay leaves

Once you bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 30-40 minutes:)


2 comments: