Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Black Bean Chicken Fajita Quesadillas



Last night I had a conundrum...I really wanted some chicken fajitas but I also wanted some chicken quesadillas...I listed the pros and con's...chicken fajitas are super tasty...but quesadillas might let me get away with using my hands to eat, in turn cutting down on the dishes....hmmm what is a hungry girl to do?

Then like sky opened and the heaven shined down...the greatest thought entered my mind...why not combine the two!!!!! Oh me oh my I think this has to be one of my greatest ideas. So after thinking about what to add and what not to add (I pretty much add everything) this is what came out of this crazy idea.

 These quesadillas are packed with so much flavor and goodness...you may need help getting out of your chair, also word to the wise when eating something this delicious, always come prepared with stretchy pants:)

 Here is everything that you are going to need...note I like to use a rotisserie chicken, but if you want you can use chicken breast too. Just cook it ahead of time.

 First take a large skillet and heat 2 tbs of oil, while that is heating up cut your peppers and onions.

 Then take a can of black beans, drained and mix with a half a can of corn...set aside for later use.

 Time to drop the kids off to the pool...sizzle sizzle pop... I love the smell of onions and peppers cooking!!!

 While your onions and peppers are getting nice and tender go ahead and shred about 2 cups of chicken. I like to use a rotisserie chicken because one it is already cooked, two you can usually get them for around $4 (sometime cheaper than chicken breast), and lastly you can save the extra for some yummy chicken salad;)


 Once your onions and peppers are nice and tender add your chicken...then this is where the flavor comes into play...you ready? Add a tablespoon of dry ranch and a half a pack of fajita seasoning, mix in a 1/4 cup of water. Stir until chicken and onion/peppers are nicely coated. Then turn off heat and place mixture in a bowl...set aside for assembly.

 Ok...so since I really hate getting every dish dirty in my kitchen, just wipe out the skillet you just used and place back on the stove and turn heat on medium. Then take a stick-o-butter and coat one side of your tortilla, then flip over because you want your buttered side to be on the outside of your quesadilla.

 Time to make some magic...start by sprinkling a little bit of shredded cheese then top with bean/corn mixture, followed by your chicken fajita mixture and then top off with more cheese.


 Top off your pile of goodness with a nice buttered hat...make sure buttered side up:) Then very carefully  place in heated skillet, cook for about 3 minutes on each side. * A little note..when flipping be very careful..and if your like me and half of your insides fall out...don't fret just scoop em back in:)

Ta da!!! Serve with some sour cream and salsa....if I would have had guacamole that would have been on here too! My husband would have given these quesadillas three thumbs up, if he had three to give, which is kind of creepy but anyway these ROCKED!!!

Enjoy.

Black Bean Chicken Fajita Quesadillas

This makes three full quesadillas, or six halves, or 12 quarters;)

2 tbs oil, heated
1 red pepper, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 can black beans, drained
1/2 can of corn, drained
2 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken
1 Tbs dry ranch
1/2 packet of fajita seasoning
1/4 cup of water
6 12" tortillas
stick of butter
2 cups of shredded cheese, or more if you like

Serve with Sour cream and Salsa;)

4 comments:

  1. Yummmm, I am totally making these this week! Thanks for sharing Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! We have quesadillas about once a week and fajitas about once a week...but the combo sound super tasty - will have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of a sudden NOTHING in my cupboards looks appealing and I just went to Meijer this morning! I guess I'll be going back tomorrow and buying everything to make these puppies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies...these will not disappoint:)

    ReplyDelete