Monday, January 24, 2011

Chicken Spaghetti for all you red sauce haters:)


One of my favorite comfort foods is a big ole bowl of spaghetti.....when the world seems off balance a heaping mound of pasta covered in spaghetti sauce can put things back in order, well for me at least. Growing up I was under the assumption that everyone loved spaghetti (how could you not). But after meeting my husband and his brother I soon learned that there was some out there that had a vendetta against the red stuff. The sad thing is my husband, bless his heart, didn't let me in on this little secret until a few years into our marriage. Seeing that I was new to cooking and I loved spaghetti (plus it was really cheap to make, a great thing for newly married couples) I was making it twice a week!!!! 

I can still remember like it was yesterday, the day I learned about my husband's hatred towards the red sauce. It was a gloomy rainy day when my husband returned from work (it could have been sunny but I was so broken hearted that a rainy day seems to fit). I had just finished putting the final touches on the sauce when I turned to greet my husband. When asked about his day, my husband look over my shoulder to the pot simmering on the stove and answered with a cold "It was ok." By the tone of his voice I was taken back, he was hiding something. So I asked if anything was bothering him? At this point my husband took my face in his hands and stated you know I love you right? I could tell this was going to be bad, so I just shook my head yes. "Well the thing is I really really hate spaghetti sauce, the truth is I can't stand the stuff", he explained.

A large gasp escaped as I stood stunned by blunt force of his news, how could it be I asked myself, that anyone could hate spaghetti sauce? Betrayal and lies covered our dinner table that night, as I sat alone with my giant plate of spaghetti. Ok Ok so I may have exaggerated things a bit, I am pretty sure John ate dinner with me too, he just had pizza or something.

But point being I had to come up with something other than your traditional spaghetti sauce, so here it is.......Chicken Spaghetti without red sauce!

 So here it is....plus the chicken that I had already put on the stove.

 Start by boiling 3lbs of chicken...if you use whole chicken cut up it will need to boil for a good hour.

 Meanwhile cut up one medium onion and one green bell pepper.

 When the chicken is done pull out of the pot and set aside to be shredded, but keep the water that you boiled it in. We will be saving those yummy juices for later.......

 Remove one cup of the chicken stock (water you boiled the chicken in) and set aside. By the way I LOVE my new kitchen!!!!

Remember that water you boiled the chicken in? Well, we are going to REcycle REcyle REcyle it and use it to boil our 12 oz of spaghetti. 

 While the spaghetti is getting a nice steam bath, saute the chopped onion and bell pepper in 2 tbs of butter.
 Once your onion and pepper are looking soft and tender, add in 1 lbs of Velveeta cheese, 1 can of Rotel, a splash of Worcestershire sauce and your 1 cup of reserved chicken stock. Cook until cheese is melted.

 While your spaghetti and cheese sauce is cooking, shred up your 3 lbs of chicken and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.

 When your noodles are done and your sauce is melted, combine it with your chicken in a 9 x 13 inch pan.

 Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese and bake at 350 until sauce is bubbly.

 Ta da......a delicious meal fit for a red sauce hating King!!!

Pair it with a nice salad and some garlic bread:)

Enjoy!

Also don't worry about me, every now and then I sneak into the night to have my red spaghetti sauce affair:)


Chicken Spaghetti




Preheat Oven 350

3lbs of Chicken
12 oz of Spaghetti
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 tbs of butter
1 can of Rotel
1 lb. of Velveeta
Splash of Worcestershire sauce
1 cup of reserved chicken stock
Shredded cheese
salt and pepper

4 comments:

  1. I am totally going to make this probably this week! YUMMY! Thanks for sharing Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hello there darlin' so good to read you again. This looks like something my family would love. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fabulous! I will be trying this soon. No red sauce dislike here, just always looking for new!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies:) It is a big hit with my boys!

    ReplyDelete