Thursday, February 03, 2011

Chicken Scampi or Greatness in a Bowl

I most confess that the older I get the less I like eating out.....I mean sometimes it's nice to go out and be the one getting served. Plus it's nice letting someone else clean up and take care of the dishes. However, I find myself, when I do get to go out, thinking I could always make this for half the price and probably make it taste better too! Now don't get me wrong there are some things that are perfect just the way they are....like the biscuits from Red Lobster, Bang Bang Shrimp from Bone Fish Grill, Boneless wings from Applebees, and the White Raspberry Cheesecake from Olive Garden ( I could go on and on but then I would just be boring you out of your mind).


There are other factors too that prohibit me from going out on the town....well there are mainly just three, they go by the names of Keegan, Miles and Lennon. I love my sweet boys but taking them out to dinner is not a fun time for me, one is usually crying or trying to get out of their seat and it seems like they never eat their food. So by the end of dinner I barely have had a chance to touch my food and I'm usually wearing half of the boy's food . Plus it's expensive when you try to take a family of five out to dinner ( I know Lennon doesn't eat much but I am beginning to think these places are charging me extra for crackers, that is the only thing that can explain our large dinner bill).

So if you find yourself in the same boat as me, this recipe still has the same feel as an entree you would order at a restaurant but is way cheaper and in my opinion much taster.


Start by peeling 12 cloves of garlic....this takes awhile......and then Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.


After spending half your life peeling garlic, place in an oven safe sauce pan and drizzle with olive oil.


Saute garlic and then place saucepan in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes to continue to roast the garlic....keep a close on these puppies because burnt garlic is no good.


Now it's time to make some white sauce...in another saucepan melt 3 tbs of butter and add in 4 tbs of flour and whisk until it becomes a smooth paste.


Then gradually add in 1 1/2 cups of hot milk....be careful when pouring into the saucepan because it may jump up and bite. Once the sauce has thickened, remove from heat and set aside for later use.


Oh my look at that pile of spices....you are going to need 4 tbs of Italian seasoning, 1 tsp of red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste.


Melt 6 tbs of butter and then add 4 tbs of crushed garlic, mix in spices and let it cook for 2 minutes on low heat.


Yum this wine is so good, I may or may not have had a glass or two while make this:) Add 2 cups of chicken broth and 1 1/2 cups of white wine to the spice mixture. Simmer for about 30 minutes.


While your kitchen is being filled with the most wonderful smell of spices and roasted garlic cut up your veggies. You will need two red bell peppers and one red onion.


I love the combination of red bell pepper and red onion....plus if your looking for something to make your sweet heart for Valentines Day this is the perfect meal.


Slice your onion and bell peppers up nice and thin. Also don't forget about your roasted garlic.....take out of the oven and reserve the olive oil for the chicken.


Slice 4 chicken breast up into thin strips and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then place them in a skillet with the reserved olive oil and cook until almost pink.


When the chicken still has a little pink left, add your onions and peppers, continue to saute.


Just a closer look........


Remember that white sauce you made a while back, well when the spice sauce has finished simmering add 1/2 cup of your white sauce and whisk. You may or may not use all of the white sauce, but as it sits it thickens so most of it will be used. Let it simmer until the sauce has thickened. Once the chicken has finished sauteing add in your scampi sauce and then the roasted garlic.


Serve it over Angel Hair pasta....Oh yeah baby this is going to be good!!!!

I also served this with a side salad and some garlic bread too:)

So whether you are looking for that restaurant appeal at home or something to make your loved one for Valentines Day.....I hope you find it here:)

This recipe Serves 4

Chicken Scampi

12 garlic cloves, peeled
Olive Oil

White Sauce

3 tbs of butter
4 tbs of flour
1 1/2 cups of hot milk

Scampi Sauce Base

6 tbs of butter
4 tbs of crushed garlic
4 tbs of Italian spices
1 tsp of red pepper flakes
Black pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups of White wine
2 cups of Chicken broth

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced
2 red bell peppers, sliced thinly
1 red onion, sliced thinly

16 oz of Angel Hair pasta, cooked accordingly

No comments:

Post a Comment