Thursday, March 24, 2011

John Wayne's Casserole with a Splash of Horse Play

Spring is in the air and we are desperately pulling it in, savoring it, and having an absolute blast. There is nothing better than feeling the warmth of the drive way on your bare feet, sending a reassuring warmth to the soles of your feet, that Spring has finally arrived. So since the weather has been outstanding and we Nesbits just cannot get enough of it, I have been backsliding on my wifely and motherly duties...nothing to big just some laundry that can wait until tomorrow, breakfast dishes in the sink that may not get washed until after dinner, and my usual efforts that I put forth towards our daily meals. Don't get me wrong, nobody is starving or going hungry here....it's just that we have resorted to some of our very quick and easy favorites.

Which is okay with me because I am to busy playing outside with my buddies to be stuck inside the kitchen. So here is a quick and easy casserole that freezes and heats up B-E-A-U-tifuly. I am still not quite sure why they call it John Wayne's Casserole....maybe it was one his favorite dishes...you've got me. However, after making it I did want to hang outside the front door and ring a dinner bell, so all my lovely boys could come running in for dinner. "Warsh up Boys, it's time for Supper", I am still contemplating on whole dinner bell idea...


This little casserole will put a hop in that step...and a little fire on the breath....my taste buds are tingling just thinking about it.


To start, brown 2 lbs. of ground beef and drain. Then add in 1 packet of Taco seasoning and water according to the package....let it simmer for 10 minutes to soak up all the seasoning.



While your beef is getting a make over in Taco seasoning, go ahead and make the sour cream topping. Add in 1/2 cup of sour cream, 1/2 cup of mayo, 1/2 of a sliced yellow onion, and 1 cup of cheese...mix it up and set aside.


Heat up 2 tbs. of oil and in a large skillet saute 1 green pepper, sliced and 1/2 yellow onion sliced. I always love the smell of sauteing onions and peppers.


Now it's time to make the crust...take 2 1/4 cups of Bisquick and 2/3 cup of milk...mix until it makes a soft dough. Easiest crust EVER!!!!


In a greased 9 x 13 pan, press the dough until even and make sure it is 1 1/2 inches up the sides. *Sometimes I find it easier when I am working with sticky dough to grease up my fingers, it makes it much easier to work with....but that's me:)


Once you have the dough all pressed out, you can start assembling your casserole. Start with the ground beef that has been simmering in Taco seasoning.


Next dump in a can of Rotel, drained.....spread it around, share the love.....


Remember those saute peppers and onions...how could you forget right? Place em on top of the Rotel.


Next comes the heat...1/2 cup of sliced Jalapenos...oh Baby!!! *If you can't handle the heat, you can omit this step and instead of using Rotel, you can use regular diced tomatoes.


After you have showered your casserole with Jalapenos, spread the Sour cream mixture on top.


Top the whole thing off with some more cheese...about a cup. Place in the oven at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Ding, Ding, Ding......Come and get it!!!! I served this up with a side of red beans and corn bread....it was finger lickin good!

For recipe click Here

On another note we have been enjoying life without shoes, the joy of sprinklers, parks, sidewalk chalk and our really cool shirts that change color in the sun ( Thanks Mema)! 

This boy loves to Swing....we had a little scuff while trying to get him off..

Eeeewww don't eat the swing Lennon!


Just Happy to be outside

I see you Miles:)

Thanks for the Cool shirts Mema....we LOVE them!
Nothing like a straight shot to the face

Some of us were not so thrilled with the sprinkler idea


Just sit and wait for it to come to you......good idea Lennon

Look we found some Mud

Drawing out the Solar System....

Lennon liked opening and closing the box

Look at those pudgy hands and feet:)

Ahhhh my feet are loving this weather....looks like time for another Pedi:)

THANKS AGAIN FOR STOPPING BY!

3 comments:

  1. Miss you all dearly...I am gonna have to try this recipe! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your humor and outlook on life's simple things. And the receipes are awesome! Good job Heather.
    The Favorite Aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe Thanks Aunt Judy:) This means a lot to me, we miss you and plan to be north this summer:)

    ReplyDelete