Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patricks Day Tradition....

Yeah today is St. Patricks Day...I Love St. Patricks Day when the world is filled with Green, my absolute favorite color. Also along with this day comes a Tradition....can anyone guess what it might be? I'll give ya a hint...it has to do with food....any guesses?

Well today I celebrate my Irish heritage with a very traditional dish of Corn Beef, Cabbage, and Red Potatoes....Oh my mouth is watering just thinking about it. I may be going out on a limb, but I have to say I think this is one of my favorite meals. I don't know what it is, maybe the very salty corn beef or the cabbage and potatoes that are bursting with flavor after soaking up all the wonderful corn beef juice. Whatever it is, when I eat this meal a sense of home and peace wash over me and I can't help but smile.

I think the real reason I LOVE this meal is that I can remember going over to my Gram's house every St. Patricks Day and this is what she made. I love my Gram and I don't know what I would do without her! She tells you like it is, doesn't hold back and I love that BOLDNESS about her. Plus she is an absolute Blast to be around too:) Miss you Gram!!!!!


Nothing Like some good ole potatoes and cabbage....


Simmer, Simmer, in pot, until the veggies are nice and hot (or done).


Now this is BEAUTIFUL...so good!!!


Sorry about my picture, it didn't turn out:( But sometimes these things happen, oh well it was mighty tasty. Now before you throw those leftovers in the fridge, lets make some Hash.


Cut up about 2 cups of Corn beef...


Mash 1 cup of leftover potatoes....


Cut up another cup of potatoes, and mix together both potatoes and Corn Beef.


Mix in 1/4 cup of the Corn Beef juice....


Add in 1/2 minced garlic clove.


Then add in a 1/2 chopped onion.


1/2 Tbs. of dry mustard......


1/4 tsp. of Thyme......


a pinch of Nutmeg...yes that's right Nutmeg.....


and lastly a good ole helping of black pepper.


Mix it all together, cover and store in the fridge overnight.....so tomorrow you can have the Perfect Corn Beef Hash...


On another note, Spring is in full Swing down here in Mississippi and the Temp is on the rise!!! Thank the Lord it's time to play outside....


So what's better than playing with the water hose...look at that Smile:)


Even Baby got in on the Good Ole Fun...big brother made sure of that.....


Miles Turn:)


Smiles all around....Happy St. Patricks Day Everyone!!!




Printable Recipe


Corn Beef Hash

2 cups of chopped Corn Beef
1 cup of Red Potatoes, mashed
1 cup of Red Potatoes, chopped
¼ cup of Corn Beef liquid or chicken stock
½ medium onion, chopped
½ garlic clove, minced
½ Tbs. dry mustard
¼ tsp. Thyme
pinch of Nutmeg
Black Pepper
¼ cup of butter plus ½ Tbs. of butter


1. Take leftover chopped Corn Beef, chopped Red potatoes and mix them with mashed Red potatoes. Mix in Corn Beef liquid (or chicken stock), onion, garlic, dry mustard, Thyme, Nutmeg and Black Pepper.

2. Cover Corn Beef Hash and refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours.

3. Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat, add in ¼ cup of butter and heat until foams. Add in Corn Beef Hash and press down with spatula, shaking skillet to keep hash loose around the edge of the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes until brown.

4. Take a plate about the size of the skillet and turn hash on to plate, return skillet to heat and add a ½ Tbs. of butter. Once the butter has foamed up return the hash back to the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes.

5. Serve with Eggs!

1 comment: