Friday, January 13, 2012

"Fancy Chicken"


A few nights ago while I was deeply immersed into Pintrest, I stumbled across this recipe "Lemon Braised Chicken". Immediately I was drooling as I read through the recipe and I knew that I had to make it. However, there is something I must tell you about my lovely husband, while he will eat almost anything and I mean anything ie. squirrel, alligator, frog legs, road kill etc. Okay maybe not road kill, but there is one thing he turns his nose up at  and that is anything he would consider "Fancy". You know things sprinkled in feta cheese and garnished with what he calls weeds. So although I was fit to be tide to try this recipe, I was a little nervous at what he might think.


Lovely isn't it:) So I decided to go against my best judgment, shoot for the stars and make this delectable meal. 

To start off you need a whole chicken, cut it up so that you are left with two breast and thighs with the skin on. Next heat a table spoon of butter and a table spoon of olive oil in an oven safe skillet. As you can see here I pulled out by trusty and loyal cast iron skillet. Then you want to salt and pepper your chicken and  lightly flour it. Place your chicken in the skillet skin down and let it cook for about 12-14 minutes, flipping it once.


While the chicken is cooking you can gather up the rest of your ingredients to make the oh so wonderful sauce. You will need 3/4 cup of chicken stock, 3/4 cup of Sauvignon Blanc (where the rest of it went, I will never tell), 3 cloves of garlic, 4 sprigs of Thyme, 2 Bay leaves, 2 tsp of capers, and about three strips of lemon peel. Fancy very very fancy! Once the chicken is has been on for about 12 minutes remove to a near by plate. Place the garlic in for about 5 minutes until it is nice and soft. Then add your wine and bring to a boil and reduce it by half or cook it for about 5 minutes more.


Seeing that the garlic is having all the fun, the rest of the ingredients will want to join too. So add them in and you will be left with the most mouth watering scent.


Add the chicken back in, remove it from the stove and cover. Then place in the oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. When done, remove the chicken and discard the Bay leaves, lemon peel, and Thyme (believe me your spouse will be glad that you did). Heat the remaining sauce until it thickens up and then serve over the chicken.

Voila! Serve it with a side of red skin potatoes and fresh green beans.

You may be wondering what my husband thought of this "Fancy Chicken" and believe me I was surprised as anyone. He LOVED it, couldn't get enough of it!!! I was so relived and thankful because I really liked this meal. whew!

Click Lemon Braised Chicken for a printable recipe.

Recipe found on theurbanspork.com

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to try it looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete